Menu - Pages

What's in your Royal Enfield motorcycle tool kit?

What's in your motorcycle tool kit?

Classic Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycles came with two spacious tool boxes. The factory supplied a tool kit, one spare fuse and some bikes even carried a spare inner tube when customers picked them up.

Experience quickly taught riders that more was needed. I learned fast that it was essential to carry a spare clutch cable. But that wasn't all I found necessary. I recently inventoried my tool boxes to discover that the main thing I had added was rags for wiping up after roadside repairs!

Although the list of things I carry is long, it is by no means satisfactory. I notice that I have left out at least three essentials. Can you guess what they are? Here's what I DO have:


Left tool box
  • Leather fanny pack to contain tools.
  • 1 rag to cushion fanny pack inside tool box.
  • 3 additional rags.
  • Factory Whitworth wrenches.
  • Tube sockets and bar to turn them.
  • Adjustable spanner.
  • Pliers.
  • Spark plug gaping tool.
  • Bent bit of metal for feeling for piston at TDC.
  • Tire prying irons.
  • Screwdriver socket for adjusting points set.
  • Tiny bottle of motor oil.
  • Bungee cord.
  • See-through plastic pouch to contain supplies.
  • Allen wrench for tightening controls on handlebars.
  • Wet wipe (probably long since dried up).
  • 2 paper rags.
  • Box of 20 Amp fuses (5).
  • Chain master link.
  • Tire valve cap with wrench end.
  • Spark plug (pre-gapped).
  • Bolt for left-side shift bodge.
  • Clutch lever cable retainer.


Right tool box

  • Owner's manual.
  • Insurance card.
  • Registration.
  • Wet wipe (probably long since dried up).
  • Throttle cable.
  • Clutch cable.
  • Plastic bags to keep these dry.

Next time: What's missing? If you'd like to guess what I have in mind, let me just add that I always wear a Leatherman tool, which provides standard and Phillip's screwdrivers, another pliers and a knife.